4.3 differences

N

newbie

Guest
What are the differences in set ups for a sy/ty motor and a normal 4.3 non-vortec or vortec. I do know that the sy/ty has a turbo but what about everything else. I took a look at the links that were suggested but didn't really see any specifics.
 

Sy769

Donating Member
The SyTy 4.3 is a non-balance shaft engine. It has stronger main bearing caps and pistons to reduce the compression ratio to 8.35/1
The head gaskets are also different. It shares the block,crank,rods,cam,heads with the standard 4.3
If I left anything out I'm sure someone else will add it to the list.
 
N

newbie

Guest
well that sounds great. Looks like I will be looking for a 4.3 with some low miles. I wouldnt' think that using a vortec engine would be all that difficult other than the other computer crap. Now all I need to know is what do I need to do about turbo, intercooler and how to run exhaust.

Anybody know where I can get some great pics of the Sy/Ty setups

Thanks for the information.
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
If you truly want to build a motor then find a blown motor truck or a wrecked one and put it in something. There is alot of things that make a Sy a Sy. I'm not saying it can't be done but think about it. It's not like a Honda, you cant find these motors with SyTy specifics laying arround like you can the B-Series Hondas. All my buds have them and we have found out that Hondas are like Legos. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything but you should look into buying a running, wrecked, or blown SyTy. It would make life that much simpler. Thes motors can't be pulled arround like the little 4's your running. Where are you located? I have alot of info you might be interested. What kind of Honda do you have?
 
N

newbie

Guest
I have a 92 civic VX hatch with a GSR B18C1 engine, tranny interior, suspension, brakes and all the normal civic goodies.
 

TheObiJuan

Active member
i dont know about buying wrecked cars and building them up. bad idea. i talked to al dustan about his sy and he wishes that it was not wrecked when he got it....
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
TheObiJuan said:
i dont know about buying wrecked cars and building them up. bad idea. i talked to al dustan about his sy and he wishes that it was not wrecked when he got it....

From the way the newbie sounded, it was like he wanted motor and drive line to put in something and rebuild. That's how he apparently started by swapping Acura part's into Hondas. I have been on both sides of the fence-(helped motor swap Hondas and done alot of work on my truck). I just figured that if he had a donor car with all the right part's it would be more easy to build a strong running one.
 
Top