15" x 10 rims on a Sy

turbodig

Active member
Looking into the viability of putting 15" rims on the Sy, specifically,
15 X 10.

I've got the offsets all figured, but the front brakes worry me.
The Stock spare is a 15", but it's one of those FWD high offset jobs.

The goal is 4 15 x 10s that line up front to rear; the rears will be no
problem, but I'm thinking the front is gonna be a pipe dream.

If I gotta, I could do 8" wide on the front with 10" on the back. I'd
like to keep 'em the same size, though, if I can. Appearance isn't the
primary goal, but I hate stuff that looks crappy.

Apologies if this is FAQish, but I couldn't find anything on 15s anywhere
I searched. Links to existing info/threads on this would be appreciated.

Later,

Dig
'91 Sy - 11.94@112
 

turbodig

Active member
phoonerorlater said:
Why go with 15s? I dont want to be a smartass just wondering what the reasoning is

I'm playing with different tire combinations for traction purposes.
Going beyond drag radials.

Later,

Dig
11.94@112
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
i dont know if this is a budget project or what, but I had Bogart make me some custom front wheels in 15" that cleared my Bear brakes. i would imagine they would be a good place to ask. they are super light, and not super expensive. if you need help, I am a dealer for them.

later
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
15 x 10" tires.

15 x 10" tires.

I have some 15 x 10 x 26" slicks for my GN w 4" BS Weld Star wheels. I will see if they fit my Ty and let U know.
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
15 x 10 Rims

15 x 10 Rims

I checked the 15 x 10 slicks on my Ty rear, and they fit, altho' w a 4" BS, they stick out ~ 4". And I would need longer studs to bolt them up.

I have rough pic of it on there.
 

syclonekid43

New member
remember if you go with a smaller tire your truck will tach out quicker which neans you'll have to go into OD if your doing this traction set up fot the track. the sy bolt pattern is the same as a 325i bmw. i had a set of oz 6 spoke on my blazer. i put them on my sy and the front fit like a glove, but the back needed to be spaced out about 3-4 inch's i think they where 17 by 7 or 8 rims.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: 15 x 10 Rims

Re: 15 x 10 Rims

Lynn D. Brown said:
I checked the 15 x 10 slicks on my Ty rear, and they fit, altho' w a 4" BS, they stick out ~ 4". And I would need longer studs to bolt them up.

I have rough pic of it on there.

Interesting.... thanks for the info.

This is pretty much the rim I was planning on... the lug bolts won't be
too big of an issue.

Did they fit on the front?

I was looking at a 6.5 BS on the back, which should nearly cover that.
7.5 on the front, which is why I'm concerned about the fronts... they'll
be poking into the fenderwells pretty good.

I'm not concerned about lock-to-lock turns, or anything... just such that
I can get around the pits with them on.

Planning on 275-50-16s... which may pose another clearance issue.
I've got tires to try in that size, though, so I don't need to shell out
a bunch of cash to test that theory.

Thanks,

Dig
 
dig, what kinda tires r they?
the only tire i know of in that size is a bfg compt ta vr4, which i have a set of on back of my v8 s10 on 16x9s...which are not exactly tough to melt down....and they're terrifying in the rain...
 

BillC

New member
Re: 15 x 10 Rims

Re: 15 x 10 Rims

turbodig said:
Planning on 275-50-16s...
Don't mean to be too obnoxious :p , but I'd like to point out that 16" tires won't fit on 15" rims. Even if you managed to get them to stay on, they probably wouldn't hold any air.... :wink: Did you mean 275/50R15? If so, who makes them?
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: 15 x 10 Rims

Re: 15 x 10 Rims

BillC said:
turbodig said:
Planning on 275-50-16s...
Don't mean to be too obnoxious :p , but I'd like to point out that 16" tires won't fit on 15" rims. Even if you managed to get them to stay on, they probably wouldn't hold any air.... :wink: Did you mean 275/50R15? If so, who makes them?

Sorry... typo. 275/50R 15.... by Hoosier.

Later,

Dig
 

tyndago

New member
Slicks - 4 slicks...... interesting....

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/896run.mpg

Check that on 4 slicks...


I would try a 15 x 9 or 9.5 rim front and rear.... a 275 will fit on it.... we know a 9 inch wide rim when offset correctly will look decent in the front... that extra half inch may hurt in the front....

And it will fit right in the rear...
 

tyndago

New member
Slicks - 4 slicks...... interesting....

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/896run.mpg

Check that on 4 slicks...


I would try a 15 x 9 or 9.5 rim front and rear.... a 275 will fit on it.... we know a 9 inch wide rim when offset correctly will look decent in the front... that extra half inch may hurt in the front....

And it will fit right in the rear...
 

tyndago

New member
Slicks - 4 slicks...... interesting....

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/896run.mpg

Check that on 4 slicks...


I would try a 15 x 9 or 9.5 rim front and rear.... a 275 will fit on it.... we know a 9 inch wide rim when offset correctly will look decent in the front... that extra half inch may hurt in the front....

And it will fit right in the rear...
 

tyndago

New member
Slicks - 4 slicks...... interesting....

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/896run.mpg

Check that on 4 slicks...


I would try a 15 x 9 or 9.5 rim front and rear.... a 275 will fit on it.... we know a 9.5 inch wide rim when offset correctly will look decent in the front... that extra half inch may hurt in the front....

And it will fit right in the rear...
 
Top