prop shaft

MAITAI1993

DON'T MAKE ME SLAP YOU.
I was putting in somethings on my TYPHOON this weekend and I noticed ny prop shaft boot ad a rip in it and all the greese has spun out if it can it be rebooted or do I need a new prop shaft if so where do I get it
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: prop shaft

$350 shipped. same part. Gilbert shaft.


IM000997a.jpg
 

MAITAI1993

DON'T MAKE ME SLAP YOU.
Re: prop shaft

thats not what it looks like its right under driver side floor board is that one different because its aftermarket
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: prop shaft

typhoonran said:
thats not what it looks like its right under driver side floor board is that one different because its aftermarket

Yup, the Gilbert propshaft is HEAVY duty. So much so, that you have to cut and reweld your transmission range select lever so that it can turn...

that_s_NOT_a_propshaft.sized.jpg

"That's NOT a propshaft."

THAT_S_a_propshaft.sized.jpg

"THAT'S a propshaft.Transmission range select lever has to be cut and rewelded due to the girth of this shaft. It also has ZERK fittings so that you can grease it on the truck."

18_8_OEM_propshaft.sized.jpg

"18.8# OEM propshaft."

11_9_MEGA_propshaft.sized.jpg

"11.9# MEGA propshaft. Front yoke omitted, adds an additional pound plus. Contact Bruce Gilbert @ Gilbert Driveline in NH 603-623-3061. $318.60 shipped in 10/01."

Had one on my truck for almost four years now with no problems as have MANY others. Buy a Gilbert and NEVER worry about it again...
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: prop shaft

So that beefy Gilbert shaft is actually "lighter" than the stocker? This will be one of my next purchases...sweet!
 

MAITAI1993

DON'T MAKE ME SLAP YOU.
Re: prop shaft

that you have to cut and reweld your transmission range select lever so that it can turn...

How hard is that the stock one you have in the pic is right so i am talking about the same part..
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: prop shaft

I think someone in here makes a replacement range select lever you can buy instead of messing with your original one.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: prop shaft

mrweelr said:
I think someone in here makes a replacement range select lever you can buy instead of messing with your original one.

Yes, Scott G. (kwick6) does. It is listed on the link that he posted above for $17.
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: prop shaft

I just received my Gilbert propshaft. There's a collar on the shaft that appears to allow for fore/aft adjustment of the unit. What's the correct procedure for adjusting the collar? I didn't see it in the instructions. I will put some loctite on that collar before tightening it down, just in case.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: prop shaft

No adjustment necessary, adjust it to fit between the front differential yoke (supplied with the propshaft) and the transfer case and you're all set. DO NOT apply loctite to the slip joint, if you ever have to remove the propshaft for any reason, it won't be fun...
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: prop shaft

This maintenance upgrade is next on my LONG list of future upgrades. I'm going for safety and preventitive maintenance first then, I'll start on the performane upgrades.
 

big gear head

axle builder
Re: prop shaft

I'm still new to the SyTy trucks, but the Gilbert shaft looks just like the shaft in the front of my 4X4 S10. Why not just use the 4X4 shaft? You would have to remove the companion flange from the front differential and install the 4X4 yoke, but that is no big deal. My shaft has 265,000 miles on it and all I've done is change the u joints 1 time.
 
Top