mega raptor 700

sytydvr

New member
how good is this tranny? any positive /negatives?

anyone from here tried one out? tranny gurus what do you guys think?


thanks

c ya
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Joe - Got one in my Ty now, but it's taking me forever to get the car finished and running. Should know something in a few months. Blake had some good things to say about the company.
 

sytydvr

New member
cool let us know how it turns out . or if u can PM me did u use your old Ty valve body or did u leave the one it came with the raptor?

c ya
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Mega Raptor Trans

Mega Raptor Trans

Joe - I just went with what came in the Mega Raptor. Does the Ty have a special valve body ? The GN does.
 
B

Blake

Guest
The syty has a special accumulator valve and a WOT upshift valve(throttle valve is special).
Tell us how well it shifts compared to your stock tranny.
Do you still have your old tranny?
Wanna sell it?
George
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
George,

I don't want to sell the used one now. Gotta keep it at least until I'm sure the one I have is good. I did the same on my GN, and thank God I did. I had bought an old (probably ~ '92-94 version) Art Carr racing trans from a racer in CA that had not even been used. He was a well funded racer - Billy Chaffin of the LA Sheriffs' dept., who ran an NA Regal. He was running in the 10's.

Well I guess that vintage of beefed up 2004R wasn't quite up to todays' technology because after ~ 4-5000 mi., I burned up the forward clutches. I had almost no forward motion, but reverse was OK. A coupla times on the slightest grade I had to go in reverse to get home.

This was back a year or 2 ago when I was talking to U about rebuilds and I took it apart to at least learn something. But with all the Ty mods I was making, I just didn't have time to finish it. Art Carr even helped me by giving me a few parts free. Finally I took this trans to Mike Kurtz of Century Trans in Houston and he straightened it out 4 me. Then he told me that that trans did NOT have the special GN valve body, which develops more pressure, so I had to buy one of those.

That's why I got kinda worried when special SyTy parts were mentioned, because I didn't want to go thru that again. But I'm hoping that this Maga Raptor has the best of everything.
 
B

Blake

Guest
It'll have everything but the valvebody.
There are some things you can do to the accumulators too.
Hopefully, they've already done them based on what you ordered ::thumbsup::
 
i have their full kit in mine, done by my usual local trans guy.
am fairly pleased.
still too soft 2-3, way too soft 3-4
but - i am running 3800rpm stall, which seriously softens the hit.
maybe 8000 or so miles on it so far with their kit.
am gonna go in with a few pieces from a transgo kit and snap up the 2-3 and 3-4.
can post after results if anyone cares.
 
B

Blake

Guest
Flip the 4th accumulator piston and put the spring on the other side(renders 4th accumulator inactive just like plugging it).
Transgo kit will come with a plug for 4th. Firmer 4th apply.

If you have the stock 2nd servo, compress it, take out the snap ring and put your stock 1-2 accumulator spring in there with the white stock spring. This little assembly IS the 3rd gear accumulator. Firmer 3rd apply as well as addressing the 3-2 clunk issue.

I use the stiffer sonnax orange spring in the 1-2 accumulator along with the Sonnax pinless piston kit. If that isn't stiff enough, put addtional 1/8" thick large diameter washers in there until you like the feel of the 1-2 shift.
By adding additional washers, it preloads the accumulator spring and reduces the amount of "give" on the shift. I don't like blocking the 1-2 accumulator. That's just my opinion. Not when you can tailor it to your liking easily at fluid changes.

Be careful using the Fairbanks billet servo. I tried using this in conjuction with a SIGNIFICANTLY larger TV boost valve and on 3-2 shifts, because the 3rd accumulator was basically removed, my dam ABS would kick it when the band would grab. Very uncomfortable feeling. Just stick with the .500" TV boost valve if using this servo.

Another thing that can be done is the shift accumulator can be upgraded to a larger diameter and Sonnax has the parts readily available to do this.Larger surface area means more pressure buildup before the shift.
I don't think PATC automatically does this.

One last thing is the diesel 700r4 "pink" pressure regulator spring (in the pump where the TV boost and reverse boost valves are) can replace what is in there currently. Stock syty is green. Many core 700s came with white. If yours is green, the pink will boost line pressures a bit. If the spring in there is white, get rid of it and get the "pink" one. These are all available from Transtar except the orange spring for the 1-2. I get those at Dacco.

In my opinion, the Transgo shift kit is better than the B&M if you decide to go that route. That's why its more expensive as well.
 
Top