Half shafts

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I was thinking about replacing my half shafts.

Some parts places show the right and left being the same part.

But other being different.

Can someone tell me? Thanks
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Half shafts

A couple of reasons.

I am replacing all the front end parts since I had the spindles off doing the LS1 brake upgrade.

Sometimes when I turn I hear a pop and feel something move in the front end. So I decided now would be a good time to cange things out.

They look like the origional half shafts.
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Half shafts

I would not think to worn. The truck only has i think around 76k on it now.
But something is going on with it to cause the pop.

My plan was to rebuit everything while it was apart. Figured I would never have to do it again. At the rate I am driving the truck anyway. Had 72k on it when I bought it in 2006.
 

13.robb

New member
Re: Half shafts

At that rate id be worried about it rusting away before the miles wear it out. Dont take it personally ive had mine since '01 and have only racked up 4850 miles since. Kinda sucks. I did drive it everyday for 2 years to and from work. but work was 5 minuites away. If you have the funds, going in one time is the best way to address your problems for sure. You will find the cause and its probably a worn out 20 year old bushing.
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Half shafts

You sure don't drive yours much at all. I thought I was bad about not getting the truck out and driving it.


Ya I thought it would be a good idea just to replace all that stuff. These trucks are getting a little age on them

I have been buying the parts for many months to do the work. When I had a little extre cash. Its cost a bit of money
 

gnjeff.t

New member
Re: Half shafts

That pop could be the lca bushings, how worn out is the front end?

I have had a popping noise come from my truck whenever I make sharp turns. I have had the prop shafts out and was unable to determine where the sound was coming from. What is the "Ica bushing"? where is it located and where can I buy replacements? Are they hard to remove and replace?

I'm assuming you are referring to the Lower Control Arm bushings, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
 
Last edited:

gnjeff.t

New member
Re: Half shafts

Dave P.

I have also had the transfer case out. The viscous coupler looked to be normal (no discoloration). The chain was tight and the fluid was in good condition. The truck still makes the popping loise when I make sharp turns, but when turning if I hold the brake and add power there is no noise. I had a friend drive in a tight circle while I looked under the front end. I could not see anything binding or what could be making the noise. It "feels" like the popping is coming from the front end and not the transfer case.
Thanks, Jeff.
 
Top