turbodog
Donating Member
So, having 110k mi on the truck, when I did the coilover conversion I decided to put new CV halfshafts on it while I had it apart. Bought the new (not rebuilt) units from Napa for ~$130 each. Passenger side tore the outer boot, replaced under warranty. Now, driver side has torn the inner boot. No interference on any of the boots. Supposedly lifetime warranty, but I have to find the receipt. Neither NAPA shaft has made it to 10k mi yet.
So, I was looking at the chain stores online and found that NAPA sells the same shaft for a Jimmy 4X4 and Typhoon (P/N 949000). O'reilly does not list the Typhoon in their vehicle selection, so, would have to buy the Jimmy part from them.
Autozone, on the other hand, lists a different part number for the Typhoon (GM 8005) and the Jimmy (Duralast P/N 9436). The GM 8005 is listed as an upgrade/premium quality part for the Jimmy, but the Duralast part is NOT listed for the Typhoon.
Googling the GM 8005, it shows to be a genuine GM part. Other sites list it as fitting all S/T10 4X4 applications. It is the GM OEM replacement part.
At Autozone, it is ~$90 new, no core charge, similar pricing found on other sites. Autozone online purchase only. Free FedEx ground shipping. I went ahead and ordered one. I'll also get a 'free' replacement from NAPA, if I can find a receipt (thanx to Uncle Sam's local sales tax deduction, it 'should' be right there in the sales receipt box for 2005).
I'll compare them to see if there is any difference. Have to wonder if the GM part really is better for our trucks (?)
So, I was looking at the chain stores online and found that NAPA sells the same shaft for a Jimmy 4X4 and Typhoon (P/N 949000). O'reilly does not list the Typhoon in their vehicle selection, so, would have to buy the Jimmy part from them.
Autozone, on the other hand, lists a different part number for the Typhoon (GM 8005) and the Jimmy (Duralast P/N 9436). The GM 8005 is listed as an upgrade/premium quality part for the Jimmy, but the Duralast part is NOT listed for the Typhoon.
Googling the GM 8005, it shows to be a genuine GM part. Other sites list it as fitting all S/T10 4X4 applications. It is the GM OEM replacement part.
At Autozone, it is ~$90 new, no core charge, similar pricing found on other sites. Autozone online purchase only. Free FedEx ground shipping. I went ahead and ordered one. I'll also get a 'free' replacement from NAPA, if I can find a receipt (thanx to Uncle Sam's local sales tax deduction, it 'should' be right there in the sales receipt box for 2005).
I'll compare them to see if there is any difference. Have to wonder if the GM part really is better for our trucks (?)