Re: AWD went bye bye
Ghostsyclone said:
what happens if you put something other than 3.42 geared axle in the front diff?
The front and rear axle ratios need to match, or several things (all bad) may happen.
1.) Tcase may grenade (or otherwise die a horrible death).
2.) Truck may be completely undriveable (unstable due to tires sliding / slipping / spinning).
3.) You may break something else in the driveline other than the tcase.
Reason I said 3.42's, is because that's what these trucks came with from the factory. If you know for a fact that your truck doesn't have the factory gear ratios (and if there is any doubt, check it), then you need to make sure it matches whatever is in the truck.
Or, you could use this opportunity to swap gear ratios. 3.08's, 3.42's, 3.73's, & 4.11's are all readily available ratios, but you've got to swap both ends (front and rear) which gets a little pricey.
Now, the only exception to having the front and rear axle ratios match is if you intentionally mismatch the axle ratios and tire diameters in order to get a "look" (or other desirable trait) and keep the TCase happy. For instance, you could run a 26" tall tire with 3.42's in the front with a 30.5" tire and 3.73's on the rear (if you liked the big / little look). Only place I've seen that done is I think Quadraduece's 2nd incarnation (but I'm not sure) and most 4wd tractors (like the FarmPro ones that Northern Tool sells).
'JustDreamin'