Another clueless 700r4 build

killerrudy

New member
Well, I can't take the plunge and get a 4L80 because of cost issues, but figured that I would throw a list of parts out there, for my rebuild, that I have gathered from other posts and see what you guys think.

Beast Sunshell

5 pinion planets front and rear

Billet 4th gear servo

Billet Front pump rotor conversion

4L65E Sprag

4L65E Sprag Reinforcement

4L65E Reaction shaft and roller bearing

Full roller bearing conversion

4L65E apply plate (thinner but can have more clutches)

Red Alto rebuild kit with 8 clutches instead of 9 for thicker steel

Transgo 7-CS kit for 3-4 clutch spring release

Unbreakable pump rings

3rd accumulator check valve(better metering of 3rd oil)

3rd accumulator check bail

Rear sun wide bushing (prevents reaction shaft failure

Bonded pistons

New lower roller BW clutch

Pinless accumulator pistons (prevent oil leakage in accumulaors)

HD sonnaz 2nd accumulaor spring

.500 TV boost valve

Transgo separator plate

New TCC solenoid

New TOrringtons

All new bushings

Raybestos Powerband for 2.4

New Input to output shaft seals

D ring seal kit for 2.4 servo lineup


Don't have a clue about transmissions, but that is what I have read from the threads. Thanks community!!!
 

killerrudy

New member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Was searching for different trans fluids that people are using. The guy at the trans shop said that he recommended AMS synthetic. Anyone familiar with that? I thought it was pricey. 200 bucks to fills the trans up with it!
 

DMTY

Member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Out of curiosity, do you know how much all of the parts run? Trans is my next project, and if this turns out to be a good combo I'll probably use it. Sorry I couldn't offer any feedback though.
 

killerrudy

New member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Out of curiosity, do you know how much all of the parts run?

Well, I haven't received a receipt yet, but his early quote was 1600 for the trans rebuild if I took it into him. Now since I was feeling lazy, It went up to 2200 for him RR the trans and installing a transcooler
 

DMTY

Member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Let me know when you get the receipt what the price was for just parts. Do you know if they all come from the same vendor?
 

killerrudy

New member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

i will let you guys know later this week about the pricing. I am pretty sure they are all coming from the same vendor. I just noticed that nobody really talks about the AMSoil on here, but there is an advertisement that flashes for it in the upper corner!! Thought it humorous.

Also, I am not going with the Red Alto pack. Tranny guy said that it was a couple years outdated. Said the Raybestos Z-pack was better.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

It really depends on what you have and what you intend to do with it, as far as building a trans.

Trans guys will try to sell you whatever they build as the gospel truth. The reality is, that there are lots of options, and not a lot of data on what really does/doesn't work.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $$ on planetaries unless yours are bad (worn/pitted). I personally haven't seen many trans failures that were caused by the planetaries being weak.

The z-pack is ok for a low-med HP build, but there's nothing wrong with the Altos either. I had a 9-pack that held up nicely to lots of low-12, hi-11 second passes. Tight clearances are a must. If the guy isn't gonna spend time on the clearances, it won't live. This is why many trans shop rebuilds fail- they don't have time or the will to check clearances properly.

Don't mess with the spring in the servo. The stock one is fine. Leave the stock 1-2 servo. The 4th gear piston/cover is a good deal since it'll prevent the leaky stock one from causing problems. The D rings are very good.

I would leave the stock pump alone, also, except to make sure that the clearances are dead-on. A loose, leaky pump will cause problems. I don't see a lot of value in 13-vane rotors, the stock rotor provides more than enough pressure and volume unless the rest of the trans is leaky.

A good quality sprag and race are a must. Don't get cheap here.

The leaky 3rd checkball is something he'll want to replace.

Use the stock Syty separator... it matches the valve body. There's a Transgo TV return spring setup I like to use, but otherwise I don't mess with the VB much, other than to make sure the bores are smooth and the valves move freely.

You don't want teeth-rattling shifts, contrary to popular misconception. You want firm shifts, but the accumulator systems should be functional and absorbing the shock.

I'd also suggest a reinforced input shaft/drum. The rest of the stuff looks ok. I'd sooner spend money on the input drum than any money on planetaries.

Realistically, a rebuild for stockish power levels doesn't depart too much from what the stocker had.
But, attention to detail is a must. It's very rare to find a local trans guy who will do what's necessary, unless he builds lots of race-spec trans.

A full-race 700 will require more parts, and a bit more thought to get it to hold up.

Get something in writing about how they back them up/warranty.

You can build a pretty good 700r4 yourself for less than $800 in parts, cheaper if you're a good shopper.
It will take a fair amount of time, however.
 

killerrudy

New member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Well, just got back from the trans shop. Got everything torn apart. Was able to see a leak in the front diff at the input. Seemed that the rearend has gotten hot at some point, and the paint peeled off the cover! So they are going to check the diff fluids for me as well. But the tranny was far beyond tired. The clutches were all warn down and starting to groove the plates. Nothing major broken though. Just tired.

So, does anyone have any preferences on AFT? I am getting the front/transfer/rear all changed.
 
Last edited:

dutchty

Member
Re: Another clueless 700r4 build

Dont use synthetic!!! Dexron III/ Mercon ATF trust me!!!

WHY not ??
NEW MOBIL1 ATF is synthetic!!
I was planning to gt royal purple next week.
and this is what MOBIL say:
Question asked : Is New Formulation Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Usable for Applications Requiring Dexron III?It is time to replace the ATF in my 2001 Tundra 4.7 V8. Previously I performed a complete transmission flush using the older Mobil 1 ATF designated Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula Dexron/Mercon Mercon V Approved for H Specification. I also installed a Magnefine filter at the same time. Sufficient mileage has accrued to change the ATF once more. However the newer Mobil 1 ATF does not mention a Dexron III application as required by Toyota for this specific model. I would prefer to remain with Mobil 1 ATF as the performance of the older Mobil 1 ATF product was a dramatic improvement over conventional ATF. What is your recommendation that will not jeopardize the operation or longevity of the transmission and will be specification compatible with the small amount of existing Mobil 1 ATF remaining in the transmission after the flush procedure? I also used the same Mobil 1 ATF for the power steering so it would be convenient to use the same fluid for both.-- Mark Self, Hoover, AL
spacer.gif

Answer: The new Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF will meet the requirements of Dexron III as the previous formula did. Feel confident to continue using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. In the product description we recommend Mobil Dexron-VI ATF for GM vehicles manufactured in 2006 and later. For vehicles older than that, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is still a perfect fit.
 
Top