I don't think anyone can really comment on comparisons between the two turbos on a Syty, since I only know of a handful of people who have run them, and none of them have used BOTH.
One of McCoy's customer's trucks has gone 11 teens on a 54 at higher boost.
If your goals are mild, on stock motor, or mildly built motor, I'd say to stick with the 52. If your goals are mid/deep 11s, I'd say to consider a 53/54/63. If your goals are 10s, I say go with a 70-72. Use high efficiency exhaust housings, whatever your goals, PTE or good flowing 4 bolt Garret housings.
Any of the 50 series turbos will require a stall converter. 9-11 at 2800-3000 will work for a 51/52 IMO. If you go bigger, more stall will be required, as well as you should be running a built motor that has a cam requiring more stall (combination combination combintation). My Sy stalled to ~3500 rpm at 2-3psi. This was perfect for the 63 series turbo I had, the .82 AR exhaust, and the larger cam. Had more torque than I could use at the line.
With the right tuning a 51 will get you in the 11s on the stock motor, at 20psi or so, IMO.